Published: Mar 19, 2008 07:09 AM
Modified: Apr 16, 2008 01:19 PM
Bronze Palm award -- Eric Hinderliter, right, received the Bronze Palm Award from Sammy Rape, scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 39 on Feb. 27. Eagle Palms are awarded for continued leadership and skills development (merit badges) after the Eagle Scout rank has been achieved. Palm awards help keep the Eagle Scouts active within the unit, contributing to the leadership of the unit, and assisting with the growth of the other Scouts within the unit. Less than 1 percent of Scouts receive the award. Eric achieved his Eagle Scout Award in May 2007. He is the son of Alan and Judy Hinderliter and a junior at Carrboro High School.
- Siyuan Peter Sheng, son of Huaxin Sheng and Yaoli Shi of Chapel Hill and a student at East Chapel Hill High School, has been named a Morehead-Cain Scholar at UNC-Chapel Hill. The scholarship pays all expenses for four years of undergraduate study, including the cost of a laptop computer and four summer enrichment experiences. The value of the scholarship is about $80,000 for an in-state student.
- Julia T. McKinley of Chapel Hill has been named to first honors on the dean's list for the fall semester at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. To qualify for second honors a student must have a grade-point average of 3.8 or higher.
- John Prescott Anderson Jr. has been elected secretary-treasurer of the student government for the 2008-09 academic year at Hampden-Sydney College in Hampden-Sydney, Va. He is the son of Leigh and John P. Anderson of Chapel Hill. As secretary-treasurer, he will be responsible for managing the finances of student government and will chair the Student Finance Committee.
- Three students from Chapel Hill have been named to the dean's list for the fall quarter at Salem College in Winston-Salem. They are Kaitlin Celesta Hamilton, daughter of Mary and Bradley Hamilton; Jennifer Kaye Olivia Hoffman, daughter of Karen and Mark Hoffman; and Cynthia Ayo Macaully, daughter of Cecil E. Macaully.
- James F. Howard Jr., distinguished professor of neuromuscular disease in the UNC School of Medicine's neurology department, has been appointed to the board of directors of the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine. The board is an independent credentialing body in electrodiagnostic medicine for neurologists and physiatrists. Howard will begin a four-year term in May.
- Brian H. Finley of Chapel Hill has been named to second honors on the dean's list for the fall semester at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. To qualify for second honors a student must have a grade-point average of 3.5 or higher.
- Haesu Jin, a senior violist at Chapel Hill High School, performed Feb. 29 in Albuquerque, N.M., as a member of the National Honors Orchestra. She is a student of Petra Beranyi and plays in the Chapel Hill High School Orchestra.
- The following students from Carrboro were named to the dean's list for the fall semester at UNC-Greensboro: Shannon C. Brice, Matthew D. Duvall, Matthew S. Palmer, Kelly M. Pendergraft, Katherine M. Stimpson and Mariel L. Van Norman.
- Otis Reid, a senior at Chapel Hill High School, has been named a candidate for the Presidential Scholars Program. He is the son of Holly Russell and Donald Reid. Scholars are selected on the basis of superior academic and artistic achievements, leadership qualities, strong character and involvement in community and school activities.
- The following students from Chapel Hill were named to the dean's list for the fall semester at UNC-Greensboro: Juliet C. Band, Christine S. Barker, Angela K. Baucom, Laetitia Bernasconi, Martin O. Bohlen, Alya F. Bolowich, Joshua A. Bunch, Gregory C. Byrne, Kaitlin M. Clinnin, Cary C. Cotton, Brooke J. Dalsimer, Jesse S. Darden, Ryan P. Day, John A. DeMasi III, Sean J. Elliott, Laura M. Gaillard, Amanda K. Gedney, Brittany R. Gee, Nicholas G. Hallfors, Taylor E. Hayes, Jennifer L. House, Gloria J. Howerton, Hadeel J. Khrais, Rachael A. Kolenberg, Hannah A. Larter, Sophia J. Larter, Laura F. Maxwell, Nicholas B. Melton, Kaitlin E. Morelli, Alexander P. Nagy, Victoria T. Neff, Krista C. Parnell, Sean P. Rogers, Jonathan D. Schwartz, Douglas S. Shadwick Jr., Matthew P. Shangler, Aisha D. Shealey, Deena J. Sheldon, Ethan L. Stang, Ashley E. Sullivan, Heather L. Wakefield, John A. Ward, Maxwell B. Waszak and Rebecca A. Weeks.
TELL US ABOUT IT: Please send announcements and photographs for the
2008 The Chapel Hill News