• Jeffrey Marshel Ruffin, 52, of 2219 Daley Road, Chapel Hill, was charged May 29 with two counts of felony obtaining property by false pretenses, police reported.Chapel Hill
• Joseph Gill Jr., 32, of 5111 Old Well St., Durham, was charged May 27 with a felony probation violation and driving while impaired, police reported.
• Ali Cherfaoui, 49, of 200 N.C. 54, Apt. E301, Carrboro, was charged May 25 with felony first-degree murder, police reported.
• Malik Lee Andrews, 21, of 119 Cole St., Apt. A, was charged May 24 with a felony probation violation, police reported.
• Four residents of a Johnson Street apartment told police they were robbed in a home invasion shortly before 6 a.m. May 28, according to a report.
The report stated that a 20-year-old man resident opened the door for four suspects, who were armed with a shotgun. The suspects stole four cell phones with a total value of $700, a $150 iPod Touch and $1,000 cash, the report stated.
No one was injured in the robbery, the report stated. Chapel Hill Police spokesman Sgt. Joshua Mecimore said it is unclear if the victims and suspects knew each other, and no additional information is available at this time.
• Police reported a 24-year-old man was the victim of an attempted strong-arm robbery around 11 p.m. May 25. The man was walking near Domino’s Pizza on Fordham Boulevard when two suspects tried to rob him of his wallet, Chapel Hill Police spokesman Sgt. Joshua Mecimore said. The man did not give them his wallet and ran away, Mecimore said.
• Police reported break-ins to residences on:
- Colony Woods Drive, May 29
- Shady Lawn Road, May 28
- Cameron Court, May 27
- Lindsay Street, May 25-27
- Fraternity Court, May 26
- Wildwood Drive, May 9-24
- Sunrise Lane, May 24
• Police reported break-ins to vehicles on:
- 400 block of West Franklin Street, May 24
- Edisto Court, May 29
- 1100 block of N.C. 54 Bypass, May 27-28
- Brookside Drive, May 25-26
- 1600 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, May 26
- Redbud Lane, May 24-25
• Police reported a break-in to a business on Kildaire Road, May 30Orange County
• Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 21-year-old Chapel Hill man May 30 in connection with a Carrboro armed robbery.
The man has not been charged in a related case in Chapel Hill.
According to reports, Michael Patrick Harper, of 104 Chesley Court, Chapel Hill, was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, assault with a deadly weapon and second-degree kidnapping.
A group of young people reported the robbery to Carrboro police around 7:45 a.m. May 28. According to a police report, Harper’s 2002 Saturn had been towed, and he needed $100 to pay the tow bill. Harper went to a home on Elm Street in Carrboro, got a 9-inch kitchen knife and held it to a resident’s throat until another man agreed to give him the money, a report stated.
After he got the money, Harper threatened the second man with the knife until he agreed to give Harper a ride to Chapel Hill, a report stated. The man and a friend took Harper to Weaver Dairy Road near Arcadia Street in Chapel Hill, where he got out of the car, a report stated. The man said Harper, who still had the knife, told him to hand over a gold necklace, a report stated. The man told police he complied after removing a gold charm, because he was “scared” of Harper, who “was acting very strange,” a report stated.
Harper then wiped his fingerprints off the knife before giving it to the passenger and running from the scene, a report stated.
The men called Chapel Hill police to report the necklace stolen and drove to the Carrboro Police Department to report the Elm Street robbery, a report stated.
Carrboro officers retrieved the knife from the car’s passenger door pocket and took statements from several witnesses to the Elm Street robbery, police reported. Chapel Hill officers took statements about the alleged Weaver Dairy Road theft, but are not likely to press charges, police officials said Thursday.
• Jeff Lee Elliott, 26, of 17 Zelco Court, Durham, was charged May 27 with felony possession of a Schedule II controlled substance, communicating threats, assault on a female and battering of an unborn child, sheriff’s deputies reported.
• Maurice Antonio Powell, 27, of 1103 Brenda Court, Chapel Hill, was charged May 27 with two counts of felony failure to appear, sheriff’s deputies reported.
• Brittany Michelle Handy, 19, of 6012 Lebanon Road, Mebane, was charged May 23 with felony uttering and two counts of felony obtaining property by fraud, sheriff’s deputies reported.
• Brett David Horiuchi, 28, of 3725 Lindsey Woods Road, Apt. B, Hillsborough, was charged May 23 with felony embezzlement by an employee, sheriff’s deputies reported.
• Jeremy David Brock, 29, of 1570 Bynum Road, Lot 4, Pittsboro, was charged May 21 with felony indecent liberties, resisting arrest, three counts of driving while license revoked and two counts of having an expired registration card or tag, sheriff’s deputies reported.
• Jeremy Keith Woody, 24, of 1622 Saddle Club Road, Mebane, was charged May 19 with felony breaking and entering, felony larceny after breaking and entering and damage to personal property, sheriff’s deputies reported.Chatham County
• Stuart Clause, 48, of 2010 Siler City-Snow Camp Road, Siler City, was charged May 25 with a probation violation, sheriff’s deputies reported.
• Joseph Mashburn, 28, of 1318 Colon Road, Sanford, was charged May 27 with indecent liberties with a child, sheriff’s deputies reported.