Published: Nov 17, 2012 07:00 PM
Modified: Nov 17, 2012 06:29 PM
501 East Rosemary
The house at 501 East Rosemary Street is an Aladdin "kit house" from 1913, originally built to be the rectory for Chapel of the Cross. Kit houses were popular in the early 20th century and were purchased by mail order. The lumber for these houses, along with the windows and doors, was delivered by rail and the house was constructed on site. The current owners, Katherine and Vincent Kopp, recently undertook a major renovation of the home. They were able to incorporate sustainable, energy-efficient features, such as a geothermal heating and cooling system, while still adhering to the Secretary of the Interior's standards for historic rehabilitation. The Preservation Society of Chapel Hill presented the Kopps with a Preservation Award for their efforts in May 2012.
The Preservation Society of Chapel Hill will hold its 40th anniversity Holiday House Tour from 1 to 5 p.m. Dec. 8 and 9. Tickets and information are available at 919-942-7818 or chapelhillpreservation.com
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.