• Police charged Denis Dion Smith, 37, of 509 Englewood Ave. in Durham, in connection with a strong armed robbery Tuesday outside of the Well Fargo Bank on Banks Drive.
The victim was approaching the bank when a man grabbed a bank bag from him and fled in a gray sedan. The suspect was found in the area on foot after he abandoned the vehicle. After a brief chase, officers caught him.
Smith was charged with common law robbery, felony larceny, felony possession of stolen goods, possession of stolen motor vehicle, felony possession of cocaine, misdemeanor possession of paraphernalia, misdemeanor possession of stolen goods, resist, obstruct and delay, driving while license rRevoked, careless and reckless driving, and misdemeanor hit and run. He was jailed under $100,000 secured bond.
• Clifton Richard Mather, 58, of 301 Sunset Drive, was charged Jan. 25 with felony assault with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.
• Police reported a burglary and larceny Jan. 20 from a resident on the 400 block of Westwood Drive in which an unlocked door was entered and $40 cash was stolen.
• Police reported a larceny from a residence on Birchcrest Place on Jan. 21 in which a bicycle valued at $1,200 was stolen from a garage.
• Police reported the larceny of a bicycle valued at $400 from a residence on the 500 block of Dogwood Drive on Jan. 21.
• Police reported a larceny from a business on the 200 block of South Estes Drive Jan. 20 in which a ring valued at $8,000 was stolen.
• Police reported the thefts of scooters on:
– Jan. 22 from a parking area on the 800 block of Pritchard Avenue.
– Jan. 20 from a parking area on the 1100 block of N.C. 54.
• A break-in and larceny from a vehicle in a parking area occurred Jan. 19 on the 200 block of South Estes Drive in which a pry tool was used on a window and poker chip and backgammon cases valued at $200 were stolen, police reported.
• Police reported vandalism to vehicles on:
– Jan. 21 on the 200 block of Westgreen Drive in which an egg was thrown causing $200 in damage.
– Jan. 21 on the 200 block of Carr Street causing $200 in broken window damage.
– Jan. 20 on the 300 block of West Rosemary Street in which a rock was thrown through a window causing $200 in damage.
– Jan. 20 on North Street in which a side-view mirror was ripped off causing $250 in damage.Carrboro
• Police reported break-ins at residences in which bicycles were stolen on:
– Jan. 22 on the 700 block of Bolin Creek Drive in which an open garage door was entered to steal two bicycles.
– Jan. 20 on the 100 block of High Street in which two bicycles were stolen.
– Jan. 20 on the 100 block of Cheek Street in which a bicycle was stolen.
• Police reported the larceny of a bicycle from a residence Jan. 22 on the 2200 block of Pathway Drive.
• Police reported a felony larceny on Rand Road on Jan. 21 in which a pry tool was used to enter locked tool boxes on two business work trucks stealing a leaf blower and rope.
• Police reported an attempted break-in of a storage unit at a residence on the 500 block of South Greensboro Street on Jan. 20.Hillsborough
• Police reported a break-in at a business Jan. 20 on the 4900 block of Hillsborough Road near Durham County.
• Police reported the break-in of a locked vehicle Jan. 21 on Cavell Court in which $3 in change was taken.
• Police reported a break-in at a locked residence Jan. 24 on the 6200 block of West Ten Road in which a pry tool was used to enter and $150 in jewelry taken.
• Police reported the larceny of broken down automobiles Jan. 24 on:
– Buckhorn Road at the Interstate 85 South exit ramp near Alamance County in which the victim’s car was removed without permission.
– I-85 South at the off ramp of exit 161 in which the victim’s car was removed without permission.
– Police reported the larceny of an inoperable motor vehicle Jan. 24 on the 5300 block of Groucho Road near Durham County.
– Police reported an attempted break-in of a residence Jan. 24 on Thompson Court.
– Police reported the larceny of a firearm from a vehicle Jan. 24 on Kiger Road.Compiled by correspondent Carlton Koonce
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.