Roses from Katie Jamieson to the staff, students, parents and alumni of Glenwood Elementary School: The oldest school in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools district is celebrating its 60th birthday this year.
The school has a number of plans to mark the occasion – the first of which is coming Saturday, Oct. 5. Do not be alarmed if you see an alligator loose on Franklin Street that day: he is the Glenwood mascot, Glen the Gator, and he and the rest of the school will be at the head of the annual Walk For Education parade.
For the past 17 years, the walk has raised money for all the public schools in the district through a sponsored procession through downtown Chapel Hill and a carnival at Lincoln Center. Please be sure to wish the Glenwood Gators a happy 60th birthday as they lead the way at this year’s event.
The Glenwood staff and PTA would be delighted for any Glenwood alumni to join them for the occasion – please let the school know at glenwoodIs60@gmail.com if you can participate. The school is also eager to hear Glenwood stories from old alumni, and to host alums at the school throughout the year to talk to the children about their lives and careers – please drop the school a line using the same email address.
Roses from Rick Fahrer to Pam and Brad Hemminger who have hosted an annual block party for their Colony Woods neighbors for 28 years.
“The party held Sept. 15 was their last one, as they are moving to another Chapel Hill neighborhood,” Fahrer writes. “Their efforts have brought together many neighbors over the years and have helped make a closer community.”
Roses from Preservation Chapel Hill to Sandra and Stephen Rich. Their home, the Trabue-Cobb House on East Franklin Street, was just awarded a Preservation Plaque.
The Trabue-Cobb House was built in 1925 by Brodie Thompson, considered one of Chapel Hill’s finest builders of the 1920s and 1930s. He also built the five fraternity houses in Fraternity Court on South Columbia Street, the Varsity Theater, and many houses in the Tenney Circle, Gimghoul, Laurel Hill, and Greenwood neighborhoods.
Thompson built the house for UNC professor M.R. Trabue and his wife, Emma. Their lot was originally part of the Horace Williams property, which was subdivided around 1920. In 1937, Trabue resigned from UNC to accept a position at Penn State University.
In 1944, Collier Cobb, Jr. and his wife, Emma, purchased the home. Cobb was successful Chapel Hill businessman and was active in university and local affairs. The Cobbs lived in the home until the late 1980s.
In 2003, the house was purchased by current owners Sandra and Stephen Rich. Sandra is a retired schoolteacher and Stephen retired from Coca-Cola. Both are UNC alumni and remain active in community affairs, including many years of service on the Preservation Chapel Hill Board of Directors. Stephen has converted the basement of the house into a small museum of Coca-Cola memorabilia, and both Sandra and Stephen are often seen outside tending their beautiful roses.