Fire displaces Chapel Hill residents

January 29, 2014 

— Residents at 219 Stagecoach Road were temporarily displaced by a Tuesday fire. No one was injured.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded to the fire just before 8 p.m. and found smoke coming from the crawl space.

The initial response included four fire engines, one ladder truck, an Assistant Fire Marshal, and a Battalion Chief from Chapel Hill.

The fire was extinguished within six minutes. The residents were displaced due to the removal of the meter box by Duke Energy. The fire department estimates damage to be under $5,000.

The investigating Fire Marshal has determined the fire to be accidental, but has not released a cause of origin.

During these extremely cold temperatures, the Fire Department reminds residents to keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment such as a furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable space heater.

Chapel Hill News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service