The Volunteer Center of Durham coordinates volunteer events and services across the Triangle. For more information on these events, visit www.HandsOnTriangle.org or call 919-613-4515.
• Be a part of the Great Backyard Bird Count from Feb. 14 through 17.
• Find out how you can get involved at Urban Ministries of Durham. Attend the volunteer orientation from 2 to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 19.
• Work with experienced naturalists and educators to work with a small group of children during explorations, games, and other hands-on outdoor activities at Creekside or Forest View Elementary, or at Githens Middle School.
• Walk MS needs help distributing brochures to various retail locations in the Triangle and surrounding areas.
• Do you value UNC TV programming? Help staff the phones on the weekends during Festival 2014. The telethon runs through March 23. The four shifts are 7:30 to 11:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 2:30 to 7 p.m., and 6 to 11:30 p.m.
• Help out at the warehouse for the Durham Economic Resource Center. Answer the phone, enter data, and restock shelves.
• Through creative activities and guided homework sessions, help a child develop the skills they need to succeed. Provide one-on-one mentoring or tutor a small group of students through your local YMCA.
• The Veggie Van works to deliver boxes of fresh, locally grown veggies to people who have limited access to these products. Volunteers are needed for the van sites at Durham Tech and the DC Health Dept.
• Do you enjoy working with high schoolers? Junior Leadership Durham needs a program coordinator.
• Training for community educators, domestic violence hotline advocates and first response volunteers for the Compass Center is will take place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Feb. 11 and 13.
• Baseball coaches are needed for children ages 6-8, 9-10, and 11-12 with the Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department.
• Carolina Villages needs kind-hearted occasional volunteers to help older adults in Chapel Hill and Carrboro remain in their own homes.
• Want to be a part of the theatre program at The ArtsCenter? The Theatre Team is made up of volunteers interested in all aspects of theatre – from helping build sets, to doing tech work, to ushering and everything in between.
• Would you like to help get the word out about the Affordable Care Act? Volunteers are needed to help with outreach to consumers, make phone calls and enter data, canvassing and staffing table at festivals.